[Land-speed] My Sunbeam Tiger, Sorta Kinda LSR.

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Sat Jan 5 13:01:58 MST 2008

We were invited to bring the red race car and our Tiger to a gathering
of loyal Sunbeam enthusiasts at Big Bear next June. To that end the wife
and I decided (mostly her) that the Orange Tiger needed a bit of refurb
to include a new paint job. Since this is to be a special really god job
the painter and I decided to strip the car down to the buff pretty much.
So for the last week I have been field stripping the Tiger in prep for
paint prep. LSR content: this kept me from finishing my T72 Turbo hot
side plumbing but I can now get back onto that.

I must say, that I never want to build headers from scratch ever never
again. Never, did I say that? Yeah, never. Especially in a car that has
no room anywhere. I am now doing the finishing welding and there are a
million places to weld. Hopefully will finish this week though. One of
the SUnbeam Tiger guys has offered to coat them for me for free but he
may back out when he hears how much pipe there is. Two headers like
shorties, one massive cross over with the turbo mount, and waste gate
flanges and three v band clamps, and a waste gate dump pipe that
connects to both waste gates. I will have several hours of just finish
grinding ala porting to make the flows as smooth as my welding permits,
lol.  Then I can put that sucker back together and get ready to run in
August and Sept and October...

Oh, and today is my 66th birthday. I am an old(er) geezer now. Got a
great gift from my wife (no, not that!) which is a book I have longed to
have:   100 Suns.    A picture book  with the 100 best nuclear
explosions during our atmospheric testing.