[Land-speed] Hydrazine

neil at dbelltech.com neil at dbelltech.com
Sat Feb 23 16:32:52 MST 2008

Mayf;

Ever wonder what comes after a "5, 4, 3, 2, 1, zero" countdown sequence and
nothing happens? It happened to us during missile firing practice. We were
airlifted to the Outer Hebrides Islands to use the Royal Artillery Guided
Weapons Range on Benbecula. A couple of Corporal missiles were launched out
into the Atlantic successfully and then this happened.

The missile sat on the launcher when the count reached "zero" so the count
continued "A, B, C, D,..." until it reached "J"; at that point the order was
given to vent the oxidizer overboard and clouds of red nitric acid blew out
of the vents. After decontamination the hydrazine fuel needed to be unloaded
but first the missile internal power (NiCd batteries) needed to be
disconnected. A sergeant went up in a cherry picker to disconnect the power
but a wind gust caught the cherry picker, broke the shear pin and it spun
around 360 degrees and slammed into the still- fueled missile. We looked
on-- horrified-- as the missile rocked back and forth on its launcher.
Fortunately, it settled back instead of toppling over. That sergeant in the
cherry picker basket was awfully glad to get his feet back on the ground.

End of "war story" but maybe you're right about its effect on me. :)

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ