[Land-speed] Non LSR - scratch one satellite

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Fri Feb 22 18:40:10 MST 2008

The sat was traveling at 17000 mph and the SM-3 speed was a reported
6000 mph. 23000 mph closing speed. put the mass of the two together and
convert the speed to fps and suddenly you have a lot of very high
energy.    I don't know what the sat mass was but it was probably
significant, maybe 10,000 lbs. Ignore the missile mass... my rusty math
says 1.76 time 10 to the 11 power in ft-lbs of energy released....
SOmebody check me...

mayf