[Land-speed] Electric water pumps

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Thu Feb 14 18:16:06 MST 2008

Always an interesting subject.  I'd like to stick my fingers in here to ask if
anyone has some actual up to date data for modern engines on the heat loss to
coolant.  If you've messed around with engines on dynos a lot maybe you can
lend some insight.
The data I have is from a chart in the 1944 edition of Obert and Jennings,
Internal Combustion Engines, Analysis and Practice.  Test engine was an 8
cylinder flathead somewhere around 280 cubic inches and 5.4:1 compression
ratio.  Heat lost to "coolant", which included water as well as  radiation and
conduction from hot external surfaces ranged from 9.4% at 1000 rpm to 8.7% at
3600 rpm.  Percentages are related to the total BTU content of the fuel
consumed.  Kind of hard to extrapolate this to your "run of the mill" 600hp
small block.
Any good data points out there?
Ed Weldon