[Land-speed] Odd car related stuff...

Dave Dahlgren ddahlgren at snet.net
Thu Feb 7 15:30:28 MST 2008

I think most passenger car systems are still inductive just replacing a
transistor in place of the points. The system will not generate a voltage
that is higher than the resistance at the plug gap. If you put an ignition
scope on an engine and play with plug gaps and watch the voltage levels
change. I am not so sure the billionth of a second spark is a good idea
because if you miss the chance to get the mixture lit your chance for that
cycle has passed. Conversely if you have a long burn time at the plug you
stand a better chance to catch the mixture an lite it. This is how a magneto
works.. and why they need a small plug gap to start up. I am sure there are
a few cd units on cars but not convicted it is mainstream. With the advent
of coil near plug and coil on plug the need for the fast rise times of cd
systems is mitigated for the most part.
Dave