[Land-speed] Single Cylinder Engine

Skip Higginbotham saltrat at pahrump.com
Sun Feb 3 15:41:30 MST 2008

Bryan,
I have read some about HCCI and while it is interesting, relatively
high power outputs don't look like they are in the cards without a
considerable amount of manifold pressure. So far experimenters have
been heating the intake air with a heater.....the same could be
accomplished through compressing the intake air but not using an
intercooler. It also seems to me that a homogeneous fuel air charge
needs to be created at a relatively slow pace. While the detonation
characteristics are positive, it looks like significant power may not
be. It will be fun to see where this goes (probably up in smoke) as I
will first try to load up the cylinder with pressure and pick a fuel
to match it in burn characteristics while using the heat generated by
the intake air compression. Or inject the fuel into the hot intake
air stream and homogenize it that way. Then to control it! Really not
much different than multiple sparkplugs...just more of "them". Oh,
likely not black oil.(-:
Thanks,
Skip