[Land-speed] Obscure engines

Doug ............. boogiewoogie12 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 19:41:49 MST 2008

It IS a treat to 'tour' with Speedy Bill.

    I've been fortunate to have done it in '98 and again in '03 on the way to
the salt.

     Both visits were with Bill and his most knowledgeable 'better half'
Joyce...

     F.U.N. stuff  for sure.

c heers, ' Dirt Track Doug '

       -105 + miles south of the world famous 'Syracuse
Mile '
       -241.4  miles north of the Williams Grove Speedway pit entrance
       -2247  or so miles due east of the marvelous Bonneville Salt
Flats

but never more than a few feet from a cold
one==========================================================================
===

> From: wester6935 at comcast.net
> To: land-speed at autox.team.net
> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:34:18 -0700
> Subject: [Land-speed] Obscure engines

 If you want to try your luck on some more obscure engines just go

 here:  <http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/Collections/Engines.shtml>

They do identify the engines for you but there are several one of a kind
engines in their collection that are just plain interesting to see.

> The Museum of American Speed - Speedway Motors museum in Lincoln, NE has a
large and interesting collection of stand alone engine displays

> There's 4 and 6 cylinder engines in this collection and there are V8 and V
16 engines here too but you can spend lots of time just enjoying the different
engines on display. When a block is painted white it is a stock block showing
aftermarket heads and accessories.

> I've been fortunate to have some freedom to just look around at the   museum
and also go on several guided tours.  Each docent does his or   her thing so
you get different emphasis from each one.  When Speedy Bill does a tour you
can learn   stuff the other docents have no idea about and I've been on four
tours Bill conducted.  Even those are different depending on the visitors
involved.  The Lincoln Continental Owners Club tour was far different from the
one the five USAC guys   got.

They told Bill stuff about his engines even he didn't know.

I just wished I knew more about the individuals, the cars and races they were
experts on.