[Land-speed] Inertia Switch

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Fri Dec 5 13:23:57 MST 2008

yes they are interesting and so far the schematics fo the ones I have
looked at they are all pretty much the same. But for this particular
one, I am curious about something. Let's say the front of the vehicle is
to the left side of picture 1 and the rear of the car to the right side.
If a rear end impact to the car occurs, the ball will rollup the right
side funnel. It hits the lever arm trigger  very close to it's pivot.
That should make for a quick acting switch, but the ball must move
upwards a long distance to trigger the switch. A frontal impact gets the
ball into contact with the lever much quicker, but it has to move the
lever a longer distance to trigger. The question is: are these more
sensitive in one direction than another? It certainly looks like it to
me. So were the engineers more wary of a front end impact or rear (rear
I suspect as that is where the fuel tank and pump is located) and so
designed it to be more sensitive to one direction than another? For
instance if this was installed in a Taurus and that car ran into the
back of another vehicle, mighten you not want the switch to trigger as
easily? But if that Taurus was rear ended in the fuel tank area,
wouldn't you want to cut power in that case particularly? If the switch
mounts sideways to the picture then the senistivity would be about the
same in a front or rear end impact. But a side impact would like be
sensitive to one side of the car or the other. IMHO...

Simple and interesting... and effective

mayf