[Land-speed] high milage car

Dave Dahlgren ddahlgren at snet.net
Fri Aug 1 05:19:29 MDT 2008

Found some pics of the Manta with your name on them LOL The specs are
interesting but think the car is a bit too big in width at least. At 68
inches about 6 or 8 wider than what I had in mind. The wheelbase is in line
with what I was thinking and the weight lighter than I thought possible at
1300 lbs if I read it right. Obviously with a smaller engine I could use
smaller wheels tires brakes etc to save weight as well. Though I might end
up with a tube chassis rather than the monocogue as i do not consider myself
qualified to design one that i would trust my life with. If it was not for
the high CG I would use the entire engine and trans out of a front wheel
drive car like the fiero did along with a few kit cars. The reason being my
2002 Pontiac GP already can get 31 to 32 mpg at 65 mph with a 3000 lb 4 door
sedan and automatic trans. In town is about 20 something and sure that is
due to the weight and stop and go traffic. Just playing with ideas right
now. I should probably do a search for the emmissions laws and registration
laws to make sure i am not biting off more than I can chew here. I would
hate to build it then never get a chance to drive it..LOL I am Thinking
calling it a custom something is better than a from scratch deal as at least
i have a VIN number and a year to base emissions on.
Dave