[Land-speed] VE, etc.>From>JG Magoo

Jon Wennerberg jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Wed Apr 30 17:35:28 MDT 2008

On Apr 30, 2008, at 5:47 PM, jgmagoo at comcast.net wrote:

Did you guys notice the JCB diesel streamliner using all the fancy
engine pre-heat systems at B-ville?  Who knows???  Maybe (probably) it
was just for starting with extermely low C.R. for the high boost. ???

JG

I thought that diesels don't have to run with extremely low
compression ratio when running high boost.  I mean, they've got to
have the CR high for starting and when the turbo isn't spooled up, and
anyway, they run by ignition because of compression making heat.
Strong innards are required -- that's how they hold together.

Clem Roberts (that was his name, right) ran his Ford p/u at Maxton
(and once at Bonneville) with sequential turbos making 120# boost by
the time the charge air got to the intake valve.  It was transmission
troubles that did him in.