[Land-speed] Fw: cutting/grinding tools?

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Mon Apr 28 17:34:46 MDT 2008

Glen, et. al. --
I have a set of 4 Greenlee punches in my shop that I found a few years back
at a swap meet.  For the amount of use I've put them to I don't think I'd
pay retail price.  But they occasionally get used where a hole saw won't get
in.  Kind of a physical workout if you're trying to go through thicker steel
than 20 gauge.  You need access from both sides and a way to drill the pilot
hole.  If you're wrenching them you need about 3" clearance for 1-1-1/2" dia
holes on one side for an open end wrench and an extra two inches for a
ratchet and socket.
BTW the key to using a hole saw is to run it slow enough that you don't
overheat the steel cutting teeth.  I wouldn't use anything but bimetal on
steel and use some kind of cutting oil whenever I can.
Ed Weldon