[Land-speed] Drilling teeny holes...

atrav atrav at copper.net
Tue Sep 25 19:11:12 MDT 2007

Jim Dincau wrote:
> Always drill undersize and check the resulting hole with the shank of the
> drill size you want.
> Jim

If you need to be precise, get a set of pin gages off of ebay. I had
some jets come with a motorcycle project that I was suspicious had been
drilled out, as they seemed bigger than what they were stamped, so the
pin gages were handy for that. Recently I found that the float valve
holes in a set of carbs were different, so the pin gages were handy to
find why two carbs were running lean.

The old watch makers way of tiny holes was to flatten the end of a wire,
then grind it into a miniature spade bit to the size you want, then
harden. Maybe harden then grind, I don't remember. I wonder if these
laser cutting places could 'pop' a tiny hole with accuracy?

-Aron-