[Land-speed] Drilling teeny holes...

Dale Krumheuer dmirror3 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 20:05:03 MDT 2007

I use a a Dremel type tool with small bits like you describe. Set the bit as far into the chuck as you can. Start slow until the bit begins to cut, then increase your speed. When you begin to apply pressure with the drill, watch the drill bit for any bend. If the bit bends while drilling, relax your pressure on the tool. Use cutting oils that are appropriate for the material that you are drilling. Lots of oil. Yes, as mentioned, forget about sharpening the bits, they are far too small to sharpen.
I learned to drill from a clock and watch repairman. Buy plenty of bits, take your time and watch for any bend in the bit. They break easily and usually leave their broken bits deep in the hole you are trying to create.  Always wear  safety glasses, I usually wear my dime store reading glasses so that I can see the small stuff.
Dale Krumheuer
Cleveland OH

drmayf <drmayf at mayfco.com> wrote: Other than very carefully, how does one go about drilling very small
holes, holes on the order of 0.020 - 0.040 diameter? How do you chuck
something that small? And I suspect that sharpening drills that small is
not gonna happen. Can hardly see drill bits that small..

I would be drilling in aluminum.

dmirror3 at yahoo.com

Land-speed mailing list

  Truth is what you're stuck with once you beat the shit out of hope