[Land-speed] John Force's Accident

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Sun Sep 23 19:33:33 MDT 2007

I just rewatched the accident all over again from several different
vantage points. ANd I am sure that everyone who sees it will have a
different view and opinion. Right at the finish line, Kenny hit the
timing light boxes and lights. One box actually went behind John's car
but other stuff, like maybe the light itself bounced off the far wall
and came back towards JOhn's car on the driver's side. Both cars were
past the finish line. And it looked like a clutch explosion or the tires
shook the car to pieces. Both rear tires were deflated before it came
apart.  Could the thingy that went across the track and back at John cut
the tires? Yeah to me it could have.  Then after the chutes were out on
both cars the Castrol car came apart. The rear continued down track
while the front moved over and crashed Kenny and knocked his body off as
well. Then the rear of John's car drifted back to the wall on Kenney'
side where it came to rest.  When they got John out and the rear section
was on the transporter, there was no frame pieces remaining from the
front edge of the seat forward.  Some how I seriously doubt that a
parachute yank would have separated the car like that. So it was some
sort of mechanical failure which broke that part: either violent tire
shake due to flat tires or explosion. Since John is reasonably ok for
such a wreck, I am sure he will have a pretty fare story of what
happened from his perspective.

No flames, no arguments, just my opinion and that ain't worth much.

mayf.