[Land-speed] Overpriced Junk !

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 12:52:41 MDT 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 5:28 PM, RACE427 at aol.com wrote:

> Whatever you buy today as far as cars, even motorcycles, they are
> light years
> ahead of what we used to own.   I cannot see how anyone can justify
> spending
> 40-100K for a fiberglass kit car which are not safe and built like
> garbage.
> To me it just looks like alot of Bling !!

I agree, people want something that has a certain look, and don't
seem to care about the underlying foundation. Fiberglass does that
very well... but isn't very structurally sound.

>      If I had 40 -50K to spend on a performance car it would be a new
> Corvette, best bang for the buck.   The car has plenty of power,
> stops and turns
> better than anything else for that price.

I disagree, not because the Corvette isn't a wonderful car, by all
means it is a monster on 4 wheels for it's price, but it's doesn't
have the handling... For 40-50k, I would get an Arial Atom (now being
built in the US by Brammo <www.brammo.com>, so no importing
required!). Of course, many would argue that it's not really a "car"
so much as a motorcycle with a couple extra wheels. To each his own,
Top Gear tested the atom, and the Enzo Ferrari was the only car that
mad a better time on their track, and that's good enough for me :-)

>      Back in 1968 a friend of mine owned a 38 Ford Coupe stuffed
> with a 371
> Olds, Corvette 4 spd and an Olds rear and the car was really nice.
> He wanted $
> 1700.00 for it.  I was 15, that amount of money was impossible for
> me to
> earn.   I can only imagine what that all steel car would go for
> today.   Surely,
> fiberglass repro junk cannot be worth what they are asking.   But,
> yuppies will
> pay the price for anything !!!  LOL

Yea, people with too much money and not enough sense will pay way too
much for something that looks like the car they wanted when they were
a kid... and since most these cars are 50 or more years old, the only
place you can find them still original is Cuba. They still run there
too. But anyway, so stateside, all the repro companies are making
their bucks off the suckers that will buy cheap reproductions...
*shrugs* That's the law of supply and demand.

~Jon