[Land-speed] (NON-lsr) New truck-->Old truck

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Fri Sep 14 11:30:08 MDT 2007

David, Glen and Jon -- Thanks for your comments and advice--
Replying individually:
David -- The online forums are very helpful. Still wading through them.  I
found what sounds like my problem, loss of valve lash and the resultant
burning of exhaust valves is a rare but known problem with these trucks.
That seems to be the most likely diagnosis at this point.  I've got time to
do a good amount of further investigation before tearing down since I have
alternative daily drivers.  My LSR street roadster project will be starting
out with an SBC "D" motor as a "mule" for shakedown and having fun while I
build a serious (read "expensive" XX motor.)
Glen -- Thanks for the library tip.  A bit of internet searching of card
catalogs in local NorCal Bay Area Libraries shows mostly aftermarket books
like the Haynes book I already have, Chilton's and others.  Seems to me that
factory service manuals have just gotten too pricey for public libraries to
invest in the hundreds of books they'd have to buy each year to keep up.
The Haynes book I have does cover the subject but the pictures are poor
quality and they tend to edit out and combine info to the point where I
don't completely trust it for this project.
Jon-- I'm going for a CD first.  Hopfully working my way through the pages
won't be too slow and painstaking on the computer to find what I want.  Once
there it's easy for me to print a few pages; take them over to my favorite
easy chair; chase Clemmie, dachshund queen of the house; and settle down for
a read.  A leakdown test is part of the program; and as soon as I find the
special tool for changing the Toyota valve shims I'll go through that part
and try see just how badly I might have hurt any of the 4 (2 would have been
enough for me) valves on that cylnder and whether I can spot a difference
with successive leakdown tests after running the engine a bit.
Thanks again, guys,  Ed