[Land-speed] (NON-lsr) New truck-->Old truck

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Thu Sep 13 17:57:48 MDT 2007

Bryan-- thanks for the tips.  I found the service manuals on ebay, buy it
now prices for original books and CD, $150 and $40 respectively.  I'm
debating which way to go. I may well spend an evening searching the online
card catalogs of some of the local libraries.  But I suspect the travel and
the cost to photocopy pages may eat up a significant part of the money I'd
spend for the CD.
Redoing the compression check as you suggest I think will tell me something.
And I'm thinking if I take the valve cover off, go buy the special valve
adjusting tool setup and an assortmant of shims (which I'll need in the
future anyway) and do some leakdown testing at various valve clearances on
the #2 cylinder I may get a better handle on the problem that may suggest a
quick fix rather than a complete head rebuild.
All to often in this life I've approached a repair with a preconceived
notion of the cause only to find absolutely no evidence of the damage once I
got everything apart.  And at that point the subtle evidence traces are all
too often gone.
Thanks again....Ed