[Land-speed] Cell phone for radio?

John Szalay john.szalay at att.net
Tue Sep 4 07:37:04 MDT 2007

Right:  http://sprint.com/nextel  for push to Talk cell feature info.

Now. a long rant!

As for Cell and radio on the salt, we have yet to have a problem on
the salt. We have AT&T cell, and had no trouble using it anywhere we
went on the salt. even out at 7 miles.  and when we volunteered with
USFRA and used the FM radios they worked good, no matter where
we were ( and we went everywhere at WOS)
CB , we had no problem. both on our car, on Jon's (Seldom Seen Slim)
truck or at the USFRA timing RV.  or the timing slip tent.
But then,  I have a good antenna on the car for CB, and have an external
Cell antenna on the car, for good coverage now matter where we are.

a good antenna and the right radio make things
IIRC: the radios we used at WOS were on the 464 MHZ freq
>From personal experience over the years , the 154 MHZ leave a
little to be desired as for range. the 460 MHZ radios seem to work
great. the new 800 trunked radios leave MUCH to desired and this
is the same band that cell phones work, so an external antenna
helps, its a shame that most cell phones are not made to make use
of them. (ours (Nokia) does).

Thats my opinion,
Your mileage may vary..

-------------- Original message from Bryan Savage <b.a.savage at wildblue.net>: --------------