[Land-speed] Aero Surfaces...

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Mon Sep 3 10:25:39 MDT 2007

Us geezers were having breakfast this morning at our usual haunt and the
subject of aerodynamic surfaces came up. In this case, moveable
aerodynamic surfaces. This would be int he form of say a rudder on a
tail or a set of flaps on the trailing edges of wings.  These would be
moveable during a run down the course. The question is legality. I do
not see anything in the rule book that actually prevents this, so are
moveable aerodynamic surfaces legal in any vehicle?  I can see where
horizontal surfaces with flaps could enhance traction by putting more
down force on the vehicle and I can see how a rudder with a moveable
surface could help recover from an upset condition such as a spin.  So
what's the answer? Anybody have an "in" with tech and rules committee?
No, this is for discussion and curiosity only. I do not even have a
spoiler on my car (yet).

Thanks,