[Land-speed] Wire Seal Holes

J.D. Tone gmc6power at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 2 23:04:09 MDT 2007

In the "old days" 1975 there was no sealing of engines. After qualifying (on
the short course this meant going over the record in the 1/4 mile even
though the record was set in the mile) you went back to your pit and did
what you wanted. In the morning you showed up at the gas truck with an empty
tank. You bought the gas, the tank was sealed, and you went out and went
both ways hopefully better than the old record. You then went to what was
called impounds and removed your cylinder head for measuring. Everything was
measured. If you wanted to run again you put it together in impounds. It
could possibly be sealed with some tape and fingernail polish.

When Bruce Johnston and then Dan Warner took over record impounds things
changed. Especially to 2 pass instead of 3 pass rules for a record. Today
Dan and his team do things a little different. Especially when it comes to
the displacement pump. They are sent off periodically for calibration and
instructions are followed very closely. If properly used they can be very
accurate. For the racers convience the engine MAYBE sealed and that is why
we ask the holes for sealing be on each engine. The seal is good for one
year.

At any time we may ask for a pump or tear down. It is Dan's discretion. If
someone protests an engine I assume it would be measured directly and not
pumped.. If a protest does occur and the engine will not be measured on site
it must be sealed so that the person does see this is the correct engine
they are measuring at the time it is done.