[Land-speed] ( Dear Jack ) & LOOK MA: NO Valve Springs !!!!!

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Sat Sep 1 16:24:35 MDT 2007

Long as we've broadened the subject to no valve springs...... Has anyone
ever heard of an actual running internal combustion engine that opened and
closed the valves with something as crude as an electric solenoid or, on the
other end, something as sophisticated as a computer controlled linear voice
coil?  Some searching found some university student papers on the subject
and a few recent (last two years) patents that have clains in that area.
I'd be willing to bet it would be relatively easy to build a hit and miss
engine with solenoid actuated valves; but that's a long way from a practical
automotive engine.  Maybe the model IC engine guys are dabbling in that
direction.
There were a bunch of them with a display at the Goodguy's Pleasanton Street
Rod event.  Even a couple of roots blown V-8's about the size of a soccer
ball and the guy selling the raw castings to make them from. (but that's
really another thread.....didn't mean to lose focus there)
Ed Weldon