[Land-speed] Trailer tires?

John Szalay john.szalay at att.net
Sat Sep 1 10:29:38 MDT 2007

>> Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why this is such a dang problem?

Having towed trailers for years I can venture my thoughts.

As Always:
 Your mileage and opinion, may vary !

 how old are the tires ?  I've always used  5 years as a guide. some use 7
years.

protect the tires from sunlight and ozone exposure when not on the road ?

Stay well within load capacity. and balance your trailer loading.

maintain air pressures at all times. ( however, I used to jack the trailers
up during the winter
and lower tire pressures  when there was no load on them)

Goodyear and others  has some other advice..
 (while this info is for RV tires, I believe that it applies  to car haulers
as well.)

  http://www.goodyear.com/rv/tirecare/tire_age.html

  http://www.tiresafety.com/

  http://www.rma.org/