[Land-speed] Fw: Test

Mike Lackey mike_lackey at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 11:50:43 MDT 2007

What's the big deal about HP/L?  I'll betcha I could design a turbo engine that produces 2000 HP/L...  (getting someone to build it is another matter)

HP/L isn't that meaningful unless you are only comparing very closely sized engines.  For instance, I can go to a store by my house and pick up a naturally aspirated engine that makes over 700 HP/L.  That's a stock engine, nothing fancy.  And it's pretty close to what those F1 engines are doing.  I wouldn't want to put it in my race car though as it's only .21 cubic inches.

I'd agree that 1000 HP/L is the upper limit for 1.5L turbo engines conforming to the F1 rules in the 1980's.  But I don't think it's an absolute upper limit in general.

Mike