[Land-speed] In the beginning

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Sun Oct 14 11:28:31 MDT 2007

Mike--
Are you ready to tell us what body and what displacement class you're
planning for?
IMHO your biggest "engineering" problems in GC are going to involve the roll
cage and possibly mounting a flywheel shield if you're running a stick
shift.  You may want to cast about for ideas on how best to accomplish an
SCTA "to the book" roll cage.  This stuff involves heavy metal work and
welding.  With some good planning you may be able to get away with using
your first cut without having to redo it.  Also pay careful attention to
safe seat design and placement relative to the driver controls.
Oh yeah, all that stuff you remove around the firewall will leave holes that
will have to be perfectly sealed.  And if it's a relatively late model be
careful about damaging the serial number identifications.  You never know
what surprises may be waiting down the road courtesy of our legislatures and
the hysteria over environmental issues.
Ed Weldon