[Land-speed] Inexpensive Pressure Transducer

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Sat Nov 10 20:45:10 MST 2007

Mayf--You're not likely to find anything cheaper than an original Ford
Flathead oil pressure tranducer (1/4" NPT male).  They never fail that I've
ever known of.  They work pretty well at low pressures.  How would I know
that?  Old well worn flatheads would still run pretty well with almost no
oil pressure on the gauge after they warmed up.
The oil transducers are designed to go into the standard bridge type gauge
circuit that is inherently voltage insensitive.  Any of you guys not
familiar with those critters I'll be glad to try to explian it in words or
send you a diagram from an old automotive technology book from the 1950's.
I suspect a little digging on the internet will turn up a pretty good
explanation.  I haven't looked yet.  To use them with a non early Ford
electric gauge you may have to recalibrate using a mechanical bourdon tube
gauge as a standard.  Easy to do if you can lash up a little water pressure
rig where you adjust the backup pressure with a valve or a garden hose
nozzle.
Ed Weldon