[Land-speed] Trans Tail-shaft

Askotto at aol.com Askotto at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 20:05:17 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/26/2007 7:47:50 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
saltfever at comcast.net writes:

I have  been sitting here thinking of my driveshaft spinning 8,000 rpm under
load,  for a couple of minutes and wondering (worrying) about that  tail-shaft
bushing.  I have a Muncie M-22 (rock crusher) and was  wondering how, or if,
you modify the tail-shaft bushing in anyway? I have  seen pictures of
tail-shafts for many of the popular trans and they all  have a hose clamp
around the bushing area? What is going on with the  hose-clamp deal?  Your
thoughts and ideas are requested and welcome  :-)   -Elon

You could go hi-tech and modify your tail housing for a needle roller
bearing. Cuts friction, maintains better alignment and won't fail.

My Nascar tranny has a plain bushing but it has a grease zerk feeding  it.

Uhhhhhhhhh, hose clamp around the bushing area??? I've never seen that  but
that doesn't mean anything. It isn't the muffler type clamp securing the
shifter mount plate to the tail shaft housing is it.

Otto