[Land-speed] [ECTALSR] Re: Not a quick question...

Tom Bryant saltracer at awwwsome.com
Fri Jun 15 13:38:23 MDT 2007

I have always had a need for speed! My best friend had cars from the early
high school days. I first drove solo in his '29 Chevrolet Sedan. My dad had
a '37 Ford with a 100 HP Mercury engine that I could use occasionally. (Not
often enough, I thought.) One rainy evening I walked the last 1 1/2  miles
home after rolling the '37. I was expecting the worst, but dad was very calm
and said, you pay for the damage and I will pay for the paint. Nothing more
was spoken of it.

I have had several vehicles over the years...my first was a 1922 Ford
Model-T Touring. It quit running and I didn't know much about cars in those
days. I sold it to a friend who had it running in a flash. It had jumped
timing!  My first real car was a '36 Ford Deluxe 2-door Sedan . Deluxe meant
that it had dual windshield wipers and dual tail lights. More about this car
later.

Shortly after I married, while living in Omaha NE, working my way to
California, I was employed as a mechanic for the Crosley Dealership. During
that year, I owned two Crosleys. A '49 Station wagon and a '50 Convertible.
This was also my first opportunity to build a "hopped up" engine. The
manager of a local finance company had repossessed a Crosley Hotshot and
wanted more power. I added the available  Braje Equipment and made it a
really healthy machine.This started my pursuit of HP.

The Crosley was quite a car.  A shaft driven overhead cam with no rocker
arms, integral cylinder/head, first American production car with disc brakes
 34 mph/gallon, etc. The engines have continued to be used in various venues
 See http://www.ggw.org/~cac/SS-Cobras-part2.html

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of faint_grain.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of elephant_en.gif]