[Land-speed] BBC Cooling System

Askotto at aol.com Askotto at aol.com
Sun Jul 22 21:32:04 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/22/2007 1:08:00 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
lsr_man at yahoo.com writes:

Who uses  thermostats, and who uses restrictors?  If a restrictor, what size
hole?

DickJ
In East  Texas

Hi DickJ

I run a 180 degree thermostat in the Lakester but I run a 5/8" up to a 3/4"
diameter restrictor's in my drag and roundy round cars.

My theory is get the Lakester up to running temp quicker with the  thermostat
but in the other race cars, which typically are already warm from  time
trials, track packing and hot laps, so I want to cool the engine the  whole time
it's running and I don't have to worry about a stuck thermostat  taking me out.
Also I circulate the water through the radiator in the pits with  an electric
water pump and having a thermostat in these cars would stop the flow  during
cool down.

Some theorists says never run a restrictor as the engine should always run  a
thermostat to "regulate" the engine temp.... I totally agree with getting it
up to running temp as quickly as possible as more engine wear happens during
the  first 60 seconds of the engine running than it would incur on a 100 mile
trip.

That's also why it's a bad idea to warm up your car by letting it idle for
long periods before you drive it on cold winter mornings. Some people think
they  are doing the engine a favor warming it up before driving it but that's not
the  case.

Otto