[Land-speed] Alternative Fuels>From>Jim McNaul

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Sun Jul 15 13:48:40 MDT 2007

Jim, how do you produce hydrogen cheaply?  Not by electrolysis, not by
reforming natural gas or coal by products, not by solar electricity.
How? That has been the largest stumbling block of all. It takes as much
energy to  make hydrogen as it gives back in energy.  Point me in the
right direction. Oh, the best method I have seen so far is the 13 enzyme
reaction for starches (sugars).  This would work well, maybe becasue yo
just need water, sugar, and the enzymes.   What other methods are there?

Oh, wait I see that you mention NUkes for the electricity. Yep that
would do it all right. I invite you to Nevada to join the bazillion
people who do not want the waste product repository in our back yard.
Will you let us use your state instead?  Nukes, while they could be
cheap, are dirty. The mining and processing makes an environmental mess.
Enriching it to reactor grade takes a ton of electricity to do (see Oak
Ridge). Breeders are even worse becasue you ultimately have to get rid
of the sodium as well as the rest of the waste.  And if you relax the
standards to build them cheaper, then Chernoble is a possibility. Was
very close at 3 mile Island.  Fusion is 50 years at the earliest.

Wind is also a possibility. I saw a program where in the Netherlands
that a private company is installing several thousand windmills. But
when he was done, it would only suppor tabout 100,000 homes and the cost
was jinormous!.

So we are in a crunch. Or will be in a few short years. IMHO...

mayf, way off and far out in Pahrump, where the Nuke repository is not
very far away at all...