[Land-speed] Brake Question

ed at vetteracing.com ed at vetteracing.com
Mon Jul 9 20:24:58 MDT 2007

Apparently gravity doesn't work well in Arizona.... Seems like I alwayshave to
pump hell out of the pedal to bleed brakes/clutches. Never did like gravity,
but it's the law..........
Ed

have more answers than questions, but here goes, anotherstupid question.

>> I decided that while the motor was out of my car (77 PontiacFirebird), I'd
detail the engine compartment, and replace both of theold, bent-up front brake
lines. When I got ready to bleed the frontbrakes, I removed the bleeding
nipples to clean them up a bit, andnoticed bubbles streaming out of the
caliper fitting. After a moment,the bubbles stopped and a solid flow of fluid
started leaking out. Iscrewed the nipples back in and snugged them down. I
checked the mastercylinder, which had just been filled, and the front bowl was
about halfempty. I topped it off, got into the car to feel the pedal, and
thebrakes were fine. The system had "bled itself" ? ? ?

>> I've done that with hydraulic front disc brakes on motorcyclesbefore,
helping along by tapping on the brake line, but I've never hadit happen with a
car.