[Land-speed] TOE IN

Askotto at aol.com Askotto at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 23:24:07 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/7/2007 10:58:43 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, John
writes:

What is  static toe in for ? Is it so that dynamic toe in is zero or is
it because  cars handle better with a little dynamic toe in ?

Hi John

Static toe in is with the car at rest, Dynamic toe in is when the car  is
moving forward. Although I never hung off the front bumper to measure dynamic
toe in, I would guess it would be less than 1/8" only because of tire sidewall
flex and suspension component clearances but far from straight up with no toe
in.

Without some toe in, a car will tend to dart around unpredictably. I used  to
run toe out in my circle track car just for fun! It made it turn  quicker.

I run my IRS with a little static toe in. Not sure if it's correct but it
made sense for the same reasons the front is toed in. As I recall, C4 vette's
have some IRS toe in for what that's worth.

Odd Toe In