[Land-speed] Mod Sports top chopping

James Tone gmc6power at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 29 10:16:03 MDT 2007

This my opinion only and it has been used properly in the vintage class top chopping. If done properly, top chopping "normally takes 2 tops from the original vehicle. If you bring the door post down the size of your chop the front and rear do not line up unless you are working with a straight up top. (20's and early 30's)

This is where the extra top comes in; you recut the top across the center in both directions and line up the front and rear "posts" This means adding 2 or 3 " across the top length and width. Now everything is in it's proper alignment. You also need to add a piece to the door top. The top on a properly choped top is actually larger than the original top.

In comp coupe and mod sports it may be different and you need to discuss this with the committee chairmen discussing what I have said. Even with this style of chop a higher windshield opening was and is allowed. My cars I have lookd at during inspection appear to have a slant on their windshields which is greater than stock.  Good Luck