[Land-speed] Bailout Test>From>Jim McNaul

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Mon Aug 27 13:11:26 MDT 2007

Ok, all...I have seen a number of references to using a blind fold
during the bail out procedures. I am not sure of the reason for this? I
don't race in the dark. My car is not enclosed.   Is it to demonstrate
proficiency? If so, then you really need to set the car on fire and test
the driver, lol... And why, suddenly, is this kind of thinking
surfacing?  Is there a pending lawsuit? How many vehicles have run
without this kind of "testing"  Have drivers proven to be unsafe or
incapable of getting out? Has there been cases where the driver was
sufficiently dazed that he could not escape?  HAve there been cases
where the driver was unfazed by a wreck or fire but he forgot what to do
to get out and had to be rescued?  Just curious as to where this comes
from. I know Dan or someone mentioned the guy who had trouble at the
starting line and that is understandable.  In order to determine
proficiency doesn't the tester have to have the same or better
proficiency in the specific vehicle? How does the tester know where my
switches are, how to shut my car off safely in an upset conditon?  Ie,
the F16 fighter pilot doesn't know how the Aapache helicopter works so
he should not be testing the chopper pilot. Me I have one big switch on
my dash that kills everything, another on the rear of the car. I have
one big chute release. And one big brake pedal. And one big harness
release. And two big fire bottle pulls.  How much stuff is needed to
demonstrate proficiency? To me driver safety comes in the form of a good
solid design that is ergonomic and strong.

mayf, wondering where this is going..