[Land-speed] Driving skills

dan warner dwarner230 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 10:06:22 MDT 2007

If you reread my original post I put a question mark by 60.

  I totally agree that age not be the limiting factor. If you can do the bail out within a reasonable time frame unassisted and are not obviously physically challenged you are good to go in my book.

  Trying to get out of a car for several minutes, getting overheated and confused as to what you are doing. Panic when you realize that what you thought was an easy process is what concerns me.

  DW

drmayf <drmayf at mayfco.com> wrote:
  I responded earlier to Dan's musing on driver safety. Now having see
some other messages, I have to ask... who gets to decide when you are
too old to drive? Or even too young? I saw 60 as a number. But why that
number? Why not 35? Or 70? Maybe all driver's need to meet fighter pilot
standards? Who gets to decide who is not capable of driving? That makes
a very elitist organization. Is it unsafer today that it was in the 50's
and 60s? No, it probably is far safer. Was there hue and cry about
drivers then? Why now? This is an amatuer sport. Make the release paper
very good and let all who can meet a minimum standard, such as getting
out fairly easily in some time standard, drive. I would vote for
eliminating all drivers over the age of 40. Our reflexes are just not up
to what they were when we were 30 or so. Ron Jollife watched me bail
and he was very cool about it. Wanted to know that I knew where all the
knobs and doo dads were and how to shut the car down safely. Then he
said don't get to excited about trying to get out really quickly because
if the car is on fire, you will get out. I practiced, like everyone else
to be able to do it in under 20 seconds from about 35 mph or so. I
don't like the sounds of the organization making nosies about
eliminating people by age for any reason. Capability and competence are
the only gauges I would suggest.

dwarner230 at yahoo.com

Land-speed mailing list

Started 62nd, first to finish - PRC Reliability Run '07