[Land-speed] Driving skills

Tom Bryant saltracer at awwwsome.com
Sat Aug 25 12:28:21 MDT 2007

Keith,

Although, I agree that it would be fun to take some driving courses where
you get to drive the road course and  such, I don't believe that that type
of experience is all that useful for what we do.

Having spent quite a bit of time in the seat at Bonneville and the Lakes, I
have this to say... I have driven both roadsters and coupes, stock wheelbase
and extended wheelbase, my thinking is that the skills needed are not of the
road racing nature, but just plain common sense. We all, I suspect, have a
tendency to stay on the throttle when it would be more prudent to lift a bit
 I have spun at Bonneville (never at the lakes) twice in the roadster and
twice in the Pierson Coupe, every time it was self-inflicted.

It is true that as we age our reflexes slow a bit. I think the bigger
problem is that we get too comfortable in the cockpit. Regardless of what we
might feel, we are over our head on every run. Anyone who thinks his or her
driving skills can overcome a dangerous situation is probably going to find
themselves in trouble. There are so many things that go through the mind on
a run, that I find I have to force myself to concentrate on keeping it
between the black lines and let some of the other thoughts slide. The best
way to avoid trouble is to realize that what you are doing is serious
business and total focus is necessary. The throttle works both ways and if
you are getting uncomfortable with the run, you should probably lift your
foot.

I realize that there are situations where mechanical or other conditions can
take you by surprise, but to remain humble and focused are the best tools in
your box.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of faint_grain.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of elephant_en.gif]