[Land-speed] Tearing up the salt

Wester Potter wester6935 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 22 15:01:28 MDT 2007

Apparently Boyd Coddington's motorhome bogged down after going through
the thin salt crust.  The rescue vehicles didn't fare much better and
there is a very long, deep gouge in the salt and mud where they were
marooned.  Pure speculation on my part ... but I can see the day when
those big transporters may have to offload their cargo at the end of
the pavement to preserve the salt surface for racing.  The motorhomes
may have to be under a certain weight and restricted to a narrow alley
leading to and from the pits and no using them as push vehicles.

The talk that the salt is back may be more fiction than we would like
to believe.

Wes