[Land-speed] The Cleanup

Benn karhu at california.com
Tue Aug 21 22:29:08 MDT 2007

I weighed the salt that I could readily collect from the underside of the car
after getting home--25#.  This probably represented 50-80% of what was on when
I got home (the rest being disolved in the runoff from my careful underchassis
hosing at home).  This after first spraying off (at the West Wendover
hand-wand carwash) an estimated 50-80% of what was on there to begin with,
then driving home about 800 miles including 100 miles of dirt roads in Nevada
over several days.  So I'll guestimate that 20-50% of what was left after the
hand-wand job fell off in transit.  That means my van hauled between a low
limit estimate of 78 pounds and a high limit estimate of 500 (!) pounds of
salt off the flats.  Multiply this by 500 competitors with an average of, say,
6 vehicles per crew, and that amounts to 117 to 750 tons of salt removed per
event (and that doesn't include workers or spectators).  This would be the
equivalent of between 4 and 25 semi-trailers at 30 tons per.   Is this a drop
in the lake vis-a-vis the potash extraction operation, or should we be
concerned about it?
Benn