[Land-speed] Back From The Salt Wars...

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Thu Aug 16 19:14:56 MDT 2007

Well, the wife and I rolled in just a few minutes ago. There were goods
and bads. For the LSR folk, the meet went very well. It was all due to
the absolutely professional attitudes and never say die mentality  of
the volunteers. When we arrived, the water was everywhere.Sticky salt on
everything. Courses were damp as were the pits. But they got better and
better all due to the effort of the volunteers. I say thanks to each and
every one of you no matter what poart you played in this years Speed
WeeK! M hat is off to you all!.  Tweecer folk;  the car ran 172.5 mph or
so right out of the gate. But you know what? That is the speed at which
the computer says you are going fast enough (when you use my gear ratio
and tire size itr comes exactly to this). The speed limiters even though
set at 127.5 in each scalar cell did not turn it off! Even the littl
ebox I added to cut the number of pulses in half did not work because it
apparently resets itself to default when all power is removed.
Umplugging the VSS did the trick. Now for the good news. After I removed
the  VSS I was able to get to 184 and change.  Boost was high at 16 psig
and  somewhere I started loosing metered air. AFRs went to 9.5 , load x
went to 199.99 and load was into the 150's. Injectors went into 100
percent duty cycle for a while. Max Pulse widths apparently.  Right
after the 184, the motor nosed over a bit and ran a solid 175 in the
last mile, 3 mile for me. When I looked at the data log it was apparent
that it wasn't notmal. Found a bad gasket at the TB to Turbo hat, fixed
that and that wasn't it. Still loosing metered air somewhere. Plugs look
like chimney soot all over them, lol. My turbo bonnes is no longer a
flat bottom sauce pan as it now has a rounded bottom, lol.

I will post the config file for the A9P I used for this run as well as
the high boost data log and the one following it. Maybe some of you folk
have some ideas. I really need to get this sorted some before World of
Speed next month. Ike, Dan, Sailor Bob, you guys up for helping me out
here. Time is short and I have a basket of things I need to fix that are
mechanical (one is getting several hundred pounds of salt off the truck
trailer and car, lol).

For the Tiger and Alpine folk. I did pretty good all things considering.
I managed my B license, got my long course approval and had a heck of a
time. Met a number of you who stopped by and in general, had a dang good
time! The car ran pretty well cond-sidering it was so rich that it as
blowing black smoke like a diesel. But heck, that is safe so I prolly
didn't hurt anything. I was geared for a record run,.    but it would
not run well on the return run, so bummer. But I'll tak 184and change
for a top speed for the car! It was due in part to the well wishes you
all sent!

I need some reall trouble shooting thoughts on where the air is going
after the turbos. Thoughts? Ideas? Anything will help. I have considered
the gasket beween the tb and base plate, the gasket between the base
plate and the manifold, and intake manifold gaskets. Any other ideas?

more later...pooped out right now...