[Land-speed] British superiority in engineering?

MPittwood at compuserve.com MPittwood at compuserve.com
Mon Aug 20 15:10:21 MDT 2007

Mayf & list

I did not see in the latest article any claims of British superiority in
engineering - although in the case of the diesel power unit its engineering
performance could be inferred from holding the LSR and being more efficient
and accepting more boost pressure than the Audi or Peugeot LeMans race
diesels or any F1 or Champ Car engines.

Andy Green's quote was  "  ...... a great opportunity to show the world
what British design and engineering skill can achieve."

I would not agree that the US press ............... given a story on a
forthcoming outright world speed record bid ................... would hold
back from making claims regarding the engineering or manufacturing skills
of their own Country or countrymen involved in the project.

[Maybe I cannot see where and when the engineering skills .......... of a
major British business (arguably the best designer and maker of yellow
painted construction digger vehicles (LOL)), that is worth billions - in
association with some high profile partners - decides to spend a 'modest
amount' of turnover on a publicity or marketing driven LSR bid,
............. are replaced by or because of the amount of money spent.].

Would you expect a world class business to limit the enthusiaism for its
successes? (The PR consultancy would be sacked for holding back -
regardless of their Country of origin).

Of course we know that the LSR outright wheeldriven record will only fall
to a "superior" effort by the British ..................  because of
Goodyear state of the art high speed tyres (450 + mph)  - made to be
superior than all others in the USA.

Many in the UK in LSR circles hope that the tyres will be made available to
all racers.  At the moment I do not know anything that would keep the tyres
just to the JCB team.  But what size will they be?  Will US racers want
them?

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England