[Land-speed] What's the true "meaning" of LSR to you?

Askotto at aol.com Askotto at aol.com
Sun Aug 19 13:46:54 MDT 2007

When I entered LSR 3 years ago, I jumped in with both feet and built a  C/GL.
The reason I picked C class is I like a challenge. I looked at the records
in the various class' and realized the A and AA records were open or soft  but
that didn't attract me at all. Ever since I saw "the original" Charley
Markley in Hot Rod Mag in 63, I have been inspired to build a lakester. As I
followed the LSR sport through the years in the pages of Hot Rod, I saw the
dedication of the racers to come out year after year chasing the elusive records  and
striving to make their cars go faster every year. Achieving the personal
goal to make your car go as fast as you can attracted me. If you break a record
along the way, more power to you. To me, that's what LSR is all about.

On the other hand, there is another school of thought that LSR is all about
just getting the red hat and into the record books. Screw improving your last
runs in the true LSR tradition. Just play the rules and become a hero. The
more  records you hold in as many venues as you possibly can, the happier you
are.  That's fine and good!!!  That's a great accomplishment in any body's book.
 Plenty of racers do the same thing. Nothing wrong with that at all, just
like  there's nothing wrong with "Trailer Queens".....

Of course I've sealed my fate of my life long dream of ever  getting my F.I.
57 Bel Air or any of my other cars in Hot Rod mag but I'm a man  of principal.
Sorry David and the rest of the list, your team record spree  doesn't mean a
whole hella of a lot to me. Apparently I'm the only looser  who feels that way
but that's fine with me.

My "problem" is I'm one of those die hard motor heads that do EVERYTHING on
ALL of my hot rods. Nobody but me touch's any of my cars and I have plenty.
That  immediately puts me on the "attack" with "Plug and play" racers. I treat
them like Dahlgren treats me!!! LOL

Am I unconsciously competing for the list "Asshole of the year" award???
How'm I doing? LOL

The forever blackballed
Otto