[Land-speed] Scam of the Week

Askotto at aol.com Askotto at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 15:25:11 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/7/2007 1:23:41 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
BWANA343 at aol.com writes:

My point  is I called my bank just now and they confirmed it is a rapidly
growing scam and recommended spreading the info to  everybody...caveat
emptor...
Bob W

Hi Bob

What's caveat emptor? You talking dirty? LOL

I do E-bay all the time and the only form of payment I accept  is PayPal,
cash and a US Postal service MO. THEY ARE THE ONLY  FORM OF PAPER CHECKS THAT ARE
ASSURED TO BE GOOD. No bank, cashiers  or certified checks are good for sure.
They can ALL be canceled and  refunded to the purchaser. The purchaser
doesn't need the original check to get  a refund. All they need is their duplicate
receipt. As long as the check wasn't  cashed yet, they refund the purchaser in
full. By the time you receive the  check, it's already worthless even if it
was a legitimate check in the first  place. I know!!!!! A costly $1400 lesson!!!
I'm much, much smarter now!

The latest scam is simply photo copy a returned check before they return  it.
It starts as a good check to you, certified, cashiers, whatever.  Copiers do
both sides of the check so the copied check looks just like the  original. You
can't tell the difference.

I do it all the time. Saves me a bunch of money... KIDDING  I'd be  going to
SW if I did. Hmmmmmmmmm... LOL

Otto