[Land-speed] non lsr nerf bars( They are at Front & Rear )

FastmetalBDF at aol.com FastmetalBDF at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 13:23:03 MDT 2007

On the question regarding nerf bars, I have always  of heard the handcrafted
front and rear bumpers on racecars( midgets, sprint  cars, Indy cars,
especially of the '30s through '60s era, and the modifieds  and supermodifieds )
referred to as the Nerf Bars ...... Having been around  oval track racing from 1948
to 1983, I have also always heard of the  sidebars on any of these racecars
referred to as Rub Rails, never as nerf bars  if they were the protective ones
on the on the sides of the car.  For as  far back as I know, the term nerf bar
also meant the various and  beautifully-crafted homemade bars, some solid
steel, and some formed from  tubing, was used regarding all Hot Rods that
displayed these.  Many of  these were works of metalworking art, with all welds
ground down and the joints  filled in with brass for a one-piece blended look.
Lots of  guys welded one or more of their initials on( the front one, mostly ),
and the work involved prior to plating was quite extensive.  Any of us that
have welded up our own custom headers, complete from flange to collectors
......  or all the way to the mufflers and exhaust tips on street cars, can really
appreciate the hours of work needed to ' do it right 'and make them worthy of
 the racecar or hot rod . Maybe the newer crowd in the pits at oval races
now call those side rubrails ' nerf bars', but I myself never heard that term
for those on the car's side, during my time as spectator, railbird, pit  crew,
and fabricator during five different decades around the oval tracks  in the
Northeast.   Just my two cents worth here   ~   old guy Bruce here in
Connecticut, which now only has three active oval tracks  left : Waterford Speedbowl in
my town, Stafford Motor Speedway in Stafford  Springs, and Thompson Speedway
in Thompson, a 5/8 mile asphalt oval that has  seen some great racing in many
classes on that oval since BEFORE WWII, and also  the road race course there
that is also now long-gone like so many other  oval tracks, both asphalt and
dirt, in New England( and much of America  )   ~   It WAS a Golden Era in auto
racing, indeed  !!!