[Land-speed] Tires OEM H Rated

dpitts at telusplanet.net dpitts at telusplanet.net
Wed Aug 1 09:54:54 MDT 2007

Doug,
The first time we came to Bonneville we tried the 130 club during the World of
Speed event. I thought 130 mph no problem. Not as easy as it sounds with a
aerodynamic brick of a 70 Camaro. Best speed of 122mph. We calculated 20 mph
of wheel spin thru the 1 mile trap.  Over the winter I figure we would try
snow  tires (being from Canada and all).I tracked down some Michelin Artic
Alpine 225/60R16 with an H speed rating. (26.6" diameter) When we showed up
the next September, Roger and his team had blown their engine in their Camaro,
and in typical Bonneville generosity, offered us their front runners. We made
no modifications to the power train from the year before,and ran 137 mph first
pass, and backed it up with 136 mph. Just for fun we removed the front runners
and put the street rubber back on with 50 PSI. Best pass of 131mph.
Conclusion: Front runners worth 5 mph, snows worth 9 mph. I didn't try front
runners front and rear as a third option. I was pretty happy with the results
this may work for your friend.

Darrell Pitts
Alberta Canada