[Healeys] Overdrive relay.

josef-eckert at t-online.de josef-eckert at t-online.de
Tue Sep 19 11:19:06 MDT 2023

Agree with all Roger said.

Josef Eckert
Germany

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive relay.
Datum: 2023-09-18T23:18:22+0200
Von: "Roger Grace" <roggrace at telus.net>
An: "john harper" <ah100tech at gmail.com>

Wonder why you want to replace the original relay ? - they are robust and
although I have not opened one, the distinctive "click" that the contacts
make indicates a decent set of contacts.
What is a modern relay ? A typical automotive 30A one with the plug in base
and connection tails - not much smaller than the original ?
This relay is coil operated so minimal current is required at W2 and W1 (WP
colour) terminals.
Now regarding the wire what do you mean by thinner wire ? is this perhaps
22 ga or ?
The issue to be aware of is not so much the wire current rating but the
short circuit time ability.
The OD relay is fed by an ignition switched white wire W that is unfused
and sourced directly from A3 at the fuse block.This has the full battery
fault current (oomph) behind it. So if you are determined to change the W
wire X section you should install an inline fuse as close as possible to
the fuse block terminal. A 15 or 20 A fuse would probably be OK. You don't
want your new thinner wire to become a fuse in the event of a fault.
rg
BTW have made a simplified OD wiring diagram that might make things easier
LMK if you want a copy.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 2:11 AM john harper <ah100tech at gmail.com