[Healeys] The single most confusing engine shutdown problem ever!

Tom Felts tomfelts at windstream.net
Sun Sep 17 08:23:53 MDT 2023

Was our driving a while back, engine purring, and suddenly she shut down. Let it sit for a while and she would start and run for a while--then shut down again. I tried many fixes which I will list below. Several times after the fixes she went for miles and miles and I thought I had "fixed" it. Nope-----yesterday----it was AAA tow time once again (3 times this year).

The last 2 shutdown times came when she was idling waiting for a light or for a car to pass.

So here is what I have tried: * new coil * new voltage regulator * new fuel pump * New ignition switch * Blew out the fuel lines * pulled float bowls and cleaned them (no debris inside) * Pulled the distributor plate out and cleaned and oiled it * disconnected the wire leading from the battery cutoff switch to the coil. * bypassed the entire battery cutoff switch * replaced the Pertronix with a new one * checked all the sparkplug wires to make sure they were on properly * replaced the distributor rotor *Replaced the distributor cap . * checked the small ground wire inside the distributor to make sure it was attached properly.

All this----and STILL o joy. I'm really out of ideas at this point. If anyone has any ideas for me to check please share them.

Thanks
Tom