[Healeys] 100M on BAT

josef-eckert at t-online.de josef-eckert at t-online.de
Mon Sep 4 01:11:19 MDT 2023

My personal view is, cars of the 50/60s are becomming more and more
collectors cars and no more drivers cars. Pricewise its getting important
to have the car in unmodified order, original spec, original colour, etc.
In todays traffic its not nice to drive an Austin-Healey on motorways or
long distances with heavy traffic inbetween. The collectors, I do not say
drivers anymore, are in pensioners age. Most younger people have no
emotional relation to cars. A car is just a way of commuting, but better to
use public transport. I see it with my daughter. She has no relation
whatsoever with cars. She drives when she must, but uses alternartives when
they are given.
I see it with me. When I go to an Austin-Healey event or weekend, I load
the Healey on the trailer and bring it to the event. Its fun to drive it
there, but I really don`t like at all to drive my Austin-Healeys over long
distances. So I can keep it/them in good original shape. here its really a
nightmare to go with a classic car on roads through central Europe from one
congestion to the next.
For holidays meanwhile we have a Mazda MX-5, which gives same or even more
fun to drive on todays traffic. And it hase all the safety gadgets like
airbags, ertc. and the engine is a dream. It revs up from 2000 to 7000 rpm,
just pulling.
So my personal view is, original classic cars may keep their value (not
sure if I am right), but modified ones will loose a lot. They lost their
classic appearance and even cannot cope with today`s traffic. The original
parts are gone, and replaced by Chinese tableware.
I think most important is to keep the original look with all the
chromeware, right colours for paint and trim and keep the car as they were
sold in the 50/60s. Time will tell, if I am right.

Josef Eckert
Germany

-----Original-Nachricht-----