[Healeys] Door fit

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Fri Sep 30 15:29:57 MDT 2022

Healey 3000, BT7 MkII.

So, I put new new “Cover plates”, item 27 & new furflex into my 3000. The
passenger side door became a rotten fit. Yes, it closed but there was a big
gap.

At first, I blamed the new furflex but that was another red herring.
Actually, it was the “Cover plate” which was a lousy fit. Looked good, but
the holes for the door “Striker”, item 31, were too small and did not allow
for the striker to be adjusted inwards.

Now, I got some aluminium sheet on order from which I will replicate the two
shims as mine are really ropey. But, I notice that, whatever I do/however
good the fit at the top of the door will be, the bottom will still stand
about ¼” further out.

Question:- is there any adjustment to be made via the hinges? Can their
fastenings be loosened off and the hinges tapped inwards?

I am not overly hopeful, but you never know!

Simon