[Healeys] Austin Healey 100 Misfire Diagnosis.

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 10:08:58 MDT 2022

For all of those who, I'm sure, have been having endless sleepless nights
trying to decide what could be causing my mysterious misfire problem I have
the solution.
It was the distributor rotor!!
After making various other tests, I found time today to install a "mule"
set of cap, leads and rotor and the problem was immediately resolved ...
even to the extent that the idle speed, which I had found necessary to
increase, needed to be readjusted back to its original settings.
I then reinstalled the original 65 year cap, leaving the replacement rotor
and all was well.
My past experience with rotor failures, mostly from the poorly made cheapo
repos, was immediate and total ignition failure. The failure of his rotor,
a very old Lucas original, manifested itself very differently with the
problem starting out as a very intermittent misfire which, over a period of
several hours, became increasingly worse.
Why the misfire vanished completely at least three times after refueling
remains a complete mystery to me.
Thank you to everyone who made numerous very helpful suggestions.
All part of the "rich tapestry of life" I presume.