[Healeys] Door fit

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Sat Oct 1 02:22:13 MDT 2022

Thank you for this.

If the previous cover plates fit and the door did too,

*    It did fit but not perfectly.

you should not have to adjust the door to get the cover plates to fit.

*    As I said, the cover plate is a lousy fit. Changed the door gap very
considerably. I'd guess that it's a bad repro.

But, I think I've worked out to fix that ie by altering the holes in the
cover plate to allow the striker to go further in.

No, my question is to the hinges. Can the bolts be loosened and the bottom
door moved inwards a bit?

The bolts should undo as some clown rammed the car a year or so back and the
door had to be removed & replaced.

When I installed new cover plates I recall trimming them at the edges
against the sill and B pillar and also trimming them where they fit together
at the 90 degree corner. I also had to enlarge the holes for the strike
plate although there is not a lot of margin to do that. If you still want to
adjust the door hinges, it is not likely possible if the car has not been
restored and the hinges have not been loosened at the A pillar before. The
nuts attaching the hinges to the pillar are likely to be rusted.

Simon