[Healeys] Core plugs

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Wed May 25 06:56:53 MDT 2022

(Late MkII BT7)

My overdrive is giving me fits. More on that later.

So, with the gearbox on the floor for seemingly the 100th time, I have
access to the rear of the block.

I was wondering about replacing the 3 core plugs that become +/- accessible
when the box is out. I've done a few in my time and find it a bore but
doable. So, the question is this:-

Do these plugs rust out from the inside or the outside? These plugs look
perfect.no rust, no drips etcetc. Seems a pity to mess around with them
unless they typically can look fine from the outside but be rotting from
inside. ie a disaster waiting to happen.

I keep my coolant clean, nice and blue so I don't theenk they're suspect
from within. But what do I know?!?

You may recall that, the first time I took the box out for OD reasons, I
elected to put in a new clutch. Because I could, because it was right there
in front of me. And look where that got me! 3 times or so we put the box
back in only to discover that the kit was faulty......So, I'm a bit
cautious.

Simon